Query about glibc/localedata/CHECKSUMS

Can someone please explain tome the purpose of this file:

 glibc/localedata/CHECKSUMS

I notice that while new locales have been added to
glibc/localedata/locales, additional lines representing them have not
been added to this file.  I strongly suspect that this file has not
been updated to reflect changes that have been made in existing locale
files, invalidating those checksums.

Obviously checksums routinely serve an important purpose in security,
assuring the "untampered" status of a file, but I have not seen
mention of modifying this file as part of the locale
submission/amendment/correction process, so I must wonder if it is
actually used for that purpose.

Any information on how these checksums are calculated (or used) would
be most appreciated.

Warmest Regards,

cjl