GCC 4.8 and -ftree-loop-distribute-patterns.

Team,

In GCC 4.8 we now have -ftree-loop-distribute-patterns enabled at -O3.
This optimization is unsafe in glibc. The optimization detects code
patterns that match specific runtime functions and converts the code
into a function call e.g. Call to memset for a loop that iterates over
memory setting a value.

We're already seeing the optimization breaking Fedora rawhide builds.

I'm thinking we could unconditionally disable this optimization for
elf/ and string/ subdirs?

Where else are we going to need to disable this optimization?

Do we need to detect GCC 4.8 and then add -fno-tree-loop-distribute-patterns?

Cheers,
Carlos.