Re: Generally use underscore-pre-/-postfixed attributes?

On 02/20/2013 01:16 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 02/20/13 08:35, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> The only argument against them is that they increase the size of the
>> headers and thus reduce compilation performance?
>
> The main argument against the extra __ __ is readability --
> i.e., what matters is the slowdown for humans, not compilers.

You are absolutely correct in that __ __ may increase the average
line length and create readability problems, but we can mitigate
those through other techniques that make our code more readable.

For kicks I just pulled down some academic papers on code
readability and the following quote stuck with me:
~~~
"without established and consistent guidelines for readability,
individual reviewers may not be able to help much"

N. J. Haneef, "Software documentation and readability: a pro-
posed process improvement," SIGSOFT Softw. Eng. Notes, vol. 23,
no. 3, pp. 75Â77, 1998.
~~~

Which aligns with our notions of consensus.

If we can make a consistent guideline then we win.

I'd rather a consistent approach to this problem.

Are you opposed to using double underscores for attributes?

Cheers,
Carlos.