Re: [RFC] Lock elision implementation guidelines

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 03:02:40PM +0100, OndÅej BÃlka wrote:

> This is not quite true.
> For libraries often even for single thread apps significant time is spend
> on locking when workload consist of many small updates.
> Take malloc for example.

malloc is a very special case because the virtual memory space of the
process is one of the few *legitimate* singletons. When applications
introduce their own singletons of this sort, it's almost always a
design flaw, and as you've noted, one that yields abysmal parallel
performance.

For what it's worth, I think internal elision in malloc can be judged
differently from POSIX mutexes with respect to whether it's a pet
feature.

Rich