Re: distro branches on sourceware

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 10:48 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 May 2013 17:08:39 Roland McGrath wrote:
>> > i've been debating doing this for a while ... half wrote an e-mail
>> > proposing a new Gentoo namespace a few times.
>>
>> Anyone (like you) who already has commit access and is authoritativish
>> for a downstream packager is more than welcome to establish a branch
>> namespace without anyone else's say-so.  Just stick to some common sense
>> and collaboration-friendly rules and then just do it: pick a name that
>> is all lowercase, includes minimal or no punctuation (i.e. some internal
>> dashes if they make sense, and no other nonalphabetics, ASCII only), and
>> is well-recognized for your system (fedora, gentoo, archlinux, debian,
>> suse or opensuse, etc.); choose the rules for the namespace's use and
>> document them on the wiki; follow common conventions unless there's a
>> reason not to (e.g. yourprefix/master, yourprefix/2.34/master, etc.);
>> post about what you're doing.
>
> i was referring to the policy laid out here:
>         http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/GlibcGit
>
> but i'll take this e-mail as automatic approval for a gentoo/ akin to the
> existing fedora/ and do some imports soonish
> -mike

I wrote the referenced policy at Roland's request when we first moved
to git and certain persons were worried about the abuse of namespace
branches.

I think the tacit policy we've been operating under as development has
matured and decentralized, and as now outlined by Roland, can be used
to revise the existing documentation to be more permissive.

Ryan S. Arnold