Re: Tracking patch pings

On Wed, 15 May 2013, David Miller wrote:

> > The GCC list has thousands of patches in it.  To be useful someone would
> > need to remove non-patches and reviewed patches promptly, to the extent it
> > can't do that automatically.
>
> Patchwork, as the web site several of us have given you the URL to
> explains, knows what a patch looks like and does not track
> non-patches.

The website appears to have very little information.  The "docs" link at
the top of <http://jk.ozlabs.org/projects/patchwork/> appears to have
nothing to do with patchwork at all.  There appears to be little
documentation in the patchwork source distribution either.  I can't tell
from either of those whether a patch sent in the thread discussing a
previous patch revision will be considered by patchwork as something new,
or as a comment on the previous version (and so not very visible if the
previous version has been marked as reviewed), for example.

But I don't see anything indicating that it will automatically detect
whether patches are reviewed, meaning that for it to be more useful for
glibc than the list of thousands of patches for GCC, someone needs to be
maintaining the list of patches in the patchwork instance - marking
reviewed patches as such - so that if we want to clear the review backlog
as we approach a release freeze, patchwork does actually show the backlog
contents and not a huge pile of patches 90% of which were reviewed long
ago.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com