Re: [RFC] list of tests in makefile.

On Wed, 29 May 2013, Florian Weimer wrote:

> On 05/28/2013 09:37 PM, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > > Agreed. Though I think a data-driven approach might also be acceptable
> > > e.g. the list of tests is in a file e.g. nptl.tests, libc.tests etc.
> >
> > Sure.  Lists in the source tree, not wildcards.
>
> And we could add a script that could generate them from "git ls-files"
> (auto-resolving conflicts).

Note that I think lists of tests should be able to include metadata rather
than just a list of test names; see
<http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2012-09/msg00276.html>.

I don't see any advantage to moving the list out of the makefiles.  And
since there are plenty of existing cases where the list of tests has
dependencies on lots of makefile conditionals, metadata support would need
to come first.  Even then, it's not obvious that each makefile variable
used to condition tests should have its own property name for metadata.
nptl/Makefile, for example, has conditions on $(have-forced-unwind),
$(build-shared), $(have-z-execstack).  Maybe rather than separate property
names, it's better to have "enabled-yes" and "enabled-no" properties
(enabled-no means the test is disabled, enabled-yes is ignored), so the
tests lists could include e.g.
tst-execstack:enabled-$(build-shared):enabled-$(have-z-execstack) - which
of course indicates keeping the list in the makefiles, so that the
makefile variables get properly interpreted in the tests setting.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com