Re: Consensus: Tuning runtime behaviour with environment variables.

On 05/31/2013 12:30 PM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Wed, 29 May 2013, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>
>> We have established prior-art for setting runtime behaviour
>> based on environment variables. It's useful.
>
> I'd like to see a more detailed analysis of the existing prior art.  I
> suggest a list of all environment variables used in some way by glibc's
> libraries (as opposed to miscellaneous executables installed by glibc),
> annotated to indicate for each:

I've started the analysis and it will show up here:
http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/TuningLibraryRuntimeBehavior#Prior_Art

Just to clarify, when you say "glibc's libraries" I assume you mean all
libraries installed on the users system that they can use including things
like libSegFault and libmemusage? This would also include the set of
loadable NSS modules, and character conversion modules.

> * Whether it follows the proposed guidelines.

OK.

> * Whether it is in UNSECURE_ENVVARS (sysdeps/generic/unsecvars.h) or
> EXTRA_UNSECURE_ENVVARS (sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/dl-librecon.h) or
> otherwise removed from the environment if __libc_enable_secure
> (MALLOC_CHECK_ unless /etc/suid-debug exists).

OK.

> * Whether it is followed if __libc_enable_secure (which depends e.g. on
> whether __libc_secure_getenv is used).  (Together with the previous point,
> you get a tristate, which is probably what should go in the list: removed
> in the secure case; not removed but ignored; not ignored.)

OK.

Cheers,
Carlos.