Re: TSX lock elision for glibc v14

On 06/28/2013 01:51 AM, Andi Kleen wrote:
> All open issues addressed. Should be (hopefully) ready for merging now.

I've reviewed patches 1 through 9.

Patches 1 through 9 are almost 100% non-ABI / non-API,
and with minor work we can make them clean.

I would like Torvald and Rich to comment on patch #5
to confirm that my interpretation is a defensible
position for rwlock.

I would like to see a v2 of patch 6 with tests for
the new interfaces moved to the patch that adds the
interface (patch #11).

I would like to see patch 8 reworked slightly again
to move the new interface documentation into the patch
that adds the new interface (patch #11).

With movement on 5, 6, and 8, we should be OK to checkin
patches 1 through 9 which add elision to glibc default
mutexes and rwlocks by using --enable-elision=yes at
configure time.

These patches add no new ABIs and no new APIs, they
are a purely internal implementation of elision for
glibc.

There should be no semantic changes outside of the
guarantees provided by POSIX.

We can then move on to patches 10 through 14 and work
on the more difficult problems.

Cheers,
Carlos.