Re: Lock elision test results

Torvald Riegel <triegel@redhat.com> writes:

> We need to model performance in some way
> to be able to find robust tuning parameters,

No, no, the right way is to run lots of work loads (that is real
applications) and see what parameters work best.

Modern caches and CPUs and parallelism of critical sections
are far too complex to model in simple ways.

> at the aborts; it seems that for z at least, the critical section length
> should also be considered.

I don't know about z, but in TSX the program doesn't know the critical
section length (without expensive extra instrumentation). Only profilers
know.

-Andi
--
ak@linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only