glibc BoF at GNU Tools Cauldron 2013 this Saturday

GNU Tools Cauldron 2013 will take place this weekend, July 13-14
on the Google campus in Mountain View, CA, USA.  See
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/cauldron2013 for complete info.

We will have a BoF ("birds of a feather") session for glibc.
This is an informal meeting with no planned presentation or
anything.  It's just a chance to get together for live
discussions among whoever shows up.

This is the first time since many more people became active
contributors that we will have a live meeting of people working
on libc.  (In fact, this is the first time we've ever had nearly
so many people working on libc at all!)  So I'm excited to get
everybody together, put faces to names, and all that (I'll be
happy to watch you drink together, though I don't drink myself ;-).

Many other people like maintainers of binutils, GCC, and
libstdc++ will be at the Cauldron and might decide to come to our
BoF, so perhaps it will also be an opportunity to talk with such
folks about improving collaboration with our sister projects.

The BoF is scheduled for 45 minutes at 14:30 (2130 UTC) on
Saturday.  It's in a room far larger than I imagine we'll need,
but that room will be used by another BoF afterwards and so far
I've been told that no other rooms will be available.  If we want
to go longer than that, we may be able to find another room on
the spot, but we can't count on that.  We can reconvene on Sunday
after lunch (when the same room is available the rest of the
afternoon); that would be at 13:30 (2030 UTC) or later on Sunday.

Registration for Cauldron is full.  So even if you happen to be
in the Bay Area, if you are not already registered for the event,
you cannot show up in person.  Sorry.

However, we will endeavor to make it possible for people to join
in remotely.  (I am only moderately confident that the technology
will work right, so apologies in advance if we don't manage to
get remote folks connected.)  Everyone who wants to join remotely
needs to contact me (privately) beforehand.  Please be sure to
send me your info no later than noon my time (1900 UTC) on
Friday.  Remote folks can join in one of two ways:

1. Via Google+ Hangouts (a video chat system--but you can turn
   off the camera and do it audio-only if you prefer).  For this
   to work, you must have an account signed up for Google+ (go to
   https://plus.google.com/ to get started).  So that we don't
   waste any time futzing around at the event, please test that
   Hangouts works for you first, using the same equipment
   (computer, camera, microphone, etc.) that you will use on
   Saturday.  If you have nobody else to test it with, and you
   manage to reach me when I'm awake and available before Friday,
   I'll be glad to test it with you (but I can't promise much in
   the way of troubleshooting help).

   To join this way, send me the name (i.e. email address) of the
   Google+ account you will use.  When the meeting starts, you
   will get email (at that same address--make sure you can read
   it) with a URL to join the video chat.

2. By phone.  There won't be any way for you to call in, but (I
   think) I can call you.  I think this will work for US/Canada
   phone numbers and I have no idea if it will work for others,
   but it can't hurt to try.

   To join this way, send me your phone number (in the format
   that it would need to be dialed from a US phone).  When the
   meeting starts, the system will call you.

Hangouts requires running various non-free software, and signing
up for Google+ requires telling Google your real name and making
at least that name (maybe some other info, don't ask me) visible
to the public at large.  If you are not comfortable with these
things (or if the software just doesn't work for you), then you
can join via phone.  If you also don't want to tell me your phone
number, or if the technology fails us, then tough luck--maybe you
can come to next year's Cauldron in person.  (There should be
ample connectivity if someone else with a laptop wants to host
remotees via some other conferencing system.  But I'm not going
to do that, and even if someone else does, it's likely to be hard
for most people in the room to see and hear through someone's
laptop, tablet, or phone.)

Carlos posted a list of topics we might discuss, which you can
find inside this:
	http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/cauldron2013?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=Cauldron-2013-Abstracts.pdf
Unfortunately, it has turned out that Carlos cannot attend
Cauldron in person this year, but he intends to join in the BoF
remotely.  Though Carlos made that list, there is no formal
agenda.  What we'll actually discuss depends on who shows up and
what they decide to talk about.

It would be nice if someone who will be present in person wants
to volunteer to take notes to be posted on the list or wiki after
the event.

Thanks,
Roland