State-of-the-art in cross-platform Glibc testing?

Hi, all -

As the subject says, what are people doing for cross-platform testing
of Glibc these days?

I notice that the "Glibc doesn't do cross-testing" note on the Eglibc
website is outdated now that the "test-wrapper" functionality and
cross-test-ssh.sh script have been merged in.  However, the
cross-test-ssh.sh functionality is a bit limited, and I wonder if
there is any common advice or wisdom for what people are actually
using in practice.

The big limitation of cross-test-ssh.sh for me is that it requires a
shared filesystem on both host and target, with identical paths.
Setting up NFS sharing from the build server for this is kind of a
pain (i.e., not really possible) in my setup, and I'd rather scp files
back and forth.  Anyone else tried that, and any advice -- or horror
stories -- about making it work?

Other than that, there's no timeout functionality, or retry
functionality if the connection dies, or that sort of robustness
support -- all of which is pretty straightforward to add, but it would
save me some time if someone has pre-written code to share.  :)

And, of course, there's a meta-question here: Am I doing something
weird and unwise by trying to go down this path at all, rather than
just tarring up the build directory, copying it to the target, and
running "make check" natively?

Thanks much,
- Brooks