Re: Tunables-related security regression

On Monday 23 January 2017 06:07 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> We should probably not have category (2) at all.  If a variable is
> unsafe for direct use in an AT_SECURE process, it is almost certainly
> also unsafe for use in a non-AT_SECURE process *when invoked as a
> subprocess of an AT_SECURE process*.
>
> "Rewriting of GLIBC_TUNABLES" also makes me very nervous.  I
> understand that this is an umbrella variable containing both things
> that are safe and things that are unsafe, but it's better to do as
> little parsing of untrusted input as possible.  Do we really _need_ to
> be able to tune AT_SECURE programs?

We do if we are obliged to maintain compatibility - all of the other
MALLOC_* envvars are ignored in AT_SECURE, but are passed on to
non-AT_SECURE subprocesses.  I suppose if the threat perception of
passing on envvars from AT_SECURE to non-AT_SECURE is high enough, it
could be a case for simply dropping category (2) completely.

Siddhesh