some more comments on what should be done for 2.1

Hi,

If somebody has time to hack some code I'd really appreciate if the
sprof program could be finished.  The functionality should (for the
first) be equivalent to gprof, where possible.  Accessing the data
structures containing the data is different but the rest of the
algorithms should be usable.  The existing code already shows shows
how to access the information, including, how to get the function
names etc.

A not so high goal would be to rewrite nscd to some extend.  Currently
the libc uses lots of sockets to communicate with the nscd.  The
better idea is to implement a protocol between the nscd and the libc
which allows one single socket to be used.  One should be able to send
queries asynchronously (using transaction numbers) and also receive
them this way.  Otherwise we will get on big systems very soon
problems with file descriptors.  It should work like this:

GIF image

The same functionality also has to be used in the LDAP NSS module so a
general implementation of this prototocol would be very useful.

Once this is done we can think about caching more of the databases in
the nscd.

So, any volunteers?

-- Uli