Re: compiling in source dir

> The Makefile changes apparently broken some things wrt compiling in
> the source directory (I got some reports for 2.0.93).  We have the
> choice between making this work again or simply require compiling in a
> separate directory.  Since the later is what we tell the people all
> day it seems to no no-option.

I don't think it's worth anyone's time specifically to debug the makefiles
so building in the source directory works (if it comes about through
independently-worthwhile makefile cleanups, that is lovely).

Building in the source directory should work for users, because it's a
canonical and generically approved thing to do in the GNU configure
standards.  If hacker-only features of the build setup break when building
in the source dir, that is ok; just put it in the README.

It is easy to do the half-way solution of having configure detect being in
the srcdir and create a build subdir and a dummy Makefile at top-level that
does `$(MAKE) -C build'.  Unless a fix for the current makefile problem is
instantly forthcoming without significant effort, this is what I think
should be done.