Re: `others' and static NSS

On Tue, 19 May 1998 22:04:34 +0100, Philip Blundell wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We currently have a small problem when building programs like makedb and the
>sunrpc suite on non-ELF machines.  Because NSS is static on such systems it's
>necessary to explicitly link in all the NSS libraries that are needed
>(libnss_files, libnss_dns, ...) to avoid lots of undefined references.
>
>This is slightly unpleasant but I think it's necessary.  Could one of the
>Makefile gurus (Zack?) take a look?

Immediate problem: nss gets built very late in 'make others'.  I can't just
move nss to the head of the list if DO_STATIC_NSS because some of the NSS
code depends on libraries built elsewhere.  This is particularly bad for
db2 because libnss_db depends on libdb.a yet makedb depends on libnss_*
(this could be fixed by moving libnss_db into the db2 directory) -- but in
general I'm not sure it can be untangled.

I could set up a third pass over the directories so that all the libs got
built before all the executables; that'd be slow but it would work.

Which programs exactly need NSS?

zw