Re: glibc-19980524: invalid use of GCC's `transparent union'

>The problem is that glibc uses the `transparent union' mechanism in an
>undocumented way, which is not recognized by gcc-2.8.1.  *Note:

Last time I looked at this (around the 2.8.0 release) it seemed that
transparent_union did work, but you needed to give ANSI-style prototypes to
get gcc to do the right thing.  It seems unlikely that the gcc people have
managed to break it since, though anything's possible I guess.

Can you do a bit of experimenting and see if you can persuade it to work?

p.