Re: glibc-19980524: invalid use of GCC's `transparent union'

Hi!

 UD> Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@m-tech.ab.ca> writes:
 >> First, I believe the GNU C library should incorporate my patch, which
 >> at least work on all platforms (for all compilers), and provide the
 >> best functionality we can hope for.

 UD> Nope, I'll not add patches because one compiler/one platform has
 UD> problems.  If there is no other way (e.g., using a different compiler)
 UD> one can distribute extra patches for this platform.  Adding such a
 UD> change to the sources would mean all ports are effected and their API
 UD> changes.  This is not acceptable.

Alright.

Just to confirm... the only API change that I see is using

	__WAIT_STATUS stat_loc;
	*__WAIT_PTR (stat_loc) = 0;

instead of

	__WAIT_STATUS_DEFN stat_loc;
	*stat_loc = 0;

I believe that this makes the intent of the code clearer, especially
since __WAIT_STATUS_DEFN is not even in the libc manual.  The binary
interface does not change at all.

If you agree that this is the only change, but still don't want it in
libc, then don't bother replying to this message.

Thanks for the discussion,

--
Gordon Matzigkeit   \ Proudly running pieces of the GNU operating system.
gord@profitpress.com \ Jacques Cousteau loved programming in assembler.