Re: more patches

On 08 Jun 1998 19:08:38 -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've checked in a few more patches.  They introduce an interface to
>generating backtraces and converting them into strings.  I've so far
>implemented only the ix86 version.  If possible please consider doing
>the work for your port.

A thought on the backtraces.

We know the ranges of address space occupied by program code.  We can
scan up the stack looking for numbers in those ranges.  Those are very
likely to be return addresses.  We report all those, and then weed out
false positives in backtrace_symbols by checking against the symbol
table.  (It might not be necessary to bother; the programmer can
easily spot them.)

That should make backtrace() not need frame pointers to work.

zw