last checkins

Hi,

I've just finished checking in a lot of changes.  They all result from
a revision of the way how map files are handles.  There are now no
fixed map files for each lbrary anymore, but instead they are
generated.  Special files are placed in the most general place in the
source tree and at compile time all the individual map files are
generated.  Yes, this time I wrote the script using awk right from the
beginning, no need for Zack to rewrite it.

I've compiled and checked it here successfully and I've also verified
that the libraries at least on Linux/Intel export the same set of
symbols as before.  Please check this for the other platforms as well.
Keep an old set of binaries and use nm --extern-only to extract the
set of exported symbols.

Tomorrow I'll try to catch up with all the patches I received in the
last days and also with the bug reports.