Re: Question on stdio standard behaviour (Bugreport libc/755)

 > Hi,

 > we've received the appended bugreport.  The essence is that "perl
 > expects that fclose followed by fopen will return the same pointer".
 > This works on most platforms but not with libc5 and glibc2.

 > So, my question is:  Is this assumption made by perl just an
 > assumption - or is it based on some standard which glibc2 violates?

Thanks to all your replies!  I answered the report and got the
following reply from the reporter (Chris Adams):

>  The perl guys have pretty much admitted it is a bad assumption in perl.
>  One person said that apparently, the BSD library code _does_ treat
>  stdin/stdout/stderr specially to make this happen, and apparently so
>  do libraries on other Unix systems.  Apparently, at some point in the
>  past, some program depended on this special case and instead of fixing
>  the offending program the library was "fixed".

I don't think we should treat stdin/stdout/stderr especially and will
close the report soonish.  Developers relaying on this assumption
should fix their code.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de