Re: Problems installing glibc in /usr/local

> I think we should override gcc's <limits.h> entirely.

Those definitions should not be in maintained two separate places in two GNU
packages.

> This would be easy -
> just take out the #include_next and the #ifndef around the ANSI limits
> definitions.  We'd have to specialize those limits to each processor, but
> that should only require a bits/ansi_lim.h for wordsize-32 and wordsize-64.
> gcc's header already defers to the one we install.

That misstates the intent of the existing code.  gcc's header uses
#include_next in the way it does (with various #ifdef's) precisely so that
glibc's header and gcc's header will cooperate as they do now to have gcc
define all the macros about C types, and have glibc define all the macros
about POSIX stuff.  That code was not put in gcc's limits.h "to defer to"
libc's; it was put there to cooperate with glibc's limits.h in the specific
way that they do now, and also was hoped to perhaps cooperate with another
system's limits.h or lack thereof.