Re: glibc-2.0.99 build problems

>>>>> Jack Howarth writes:

Jack> Andreas.
Jack>      Thanks again. The modified version of Uli's test code works exactly
Jack> as you indicated. I see...

Jack> [root@dilbert newtest]#  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./m
Jack> This is main
Jack> This is foo
Jack> This is bar
Jack> ./p.so: undefined symbol: xyzzy

Jack> I have been told that the ld.so.1 in glibc 2.1 will be (and is) much
Jack> stricter than that in 2.0.7 and below. I think the next step is to
Jack> get someone running glibc 2.0.7 to test your modified code. If my
Jack> guess is right then it should pass the modified test on glibc 2.0.7.
Jack> The question then becomes which is correct behavior...does the test
Jack> just happen to work in glibc 2.0.7 and should that coding be allowed?
Jack> Or is glibc 2.0.99 being to strict about exporting symbols back to
Jack> the original program when one of the intervening shared libs is linked
Jack> rather then accessed via dlopen.

Jack

following your suggestion, I tested the code on an alpha running glibc
2.0.7-13 from RedHat (installed in May) and it works:

$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./m
This is main
This is foo
This is bar
This is baz
This is xyzzy

Therefore my question remains:  Is the program I've written correct
and should it work with glibc 2.0.99?  Or does it just work by
accident with 2.0.7?

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de