Re: PIC default check

On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 10:23:42AM +1100, Geoff Keating wrote:

> > I assume the change documented below has been added because I mentioned
> > that PIC code is default on MIPS?  Or is there another reason as well?
> > As things are, this change does alot more bad than good things for MIPS.
> > Certain files like init-first.c now always get compiled the same no matter
> > whether they're going into the static lib or a shared lib.
> [comments on how to make it work snipped].
>
> This would be good for powerpc, too.  You can use code compiled with
> -fpic in executables, and it would save much time and disk space when
> building glibc.

For MIPS it's strictly illegal to mix PIC and non-PIC code, so everything
is PIC code by default.  For Linux we don't support the all-non-pic model
as SGI does; for me it's an unacceptable tradeoff.

I've already implemented my -DSHARED suggstion, now what I'll still have
to do is to modify the Makefiles to just link the .o object files to the
.os object files except for a few for which -DSHARED makes a  difference.

  Ralf