linuxconf problems

   Could anyone else working with linux and glibc 2.0.104 give the following
problem a look? A few weeks back Ulrich fixed a bug in glibc which
prevented linuxconf 1.13r1 from authenticating passwords via pam.
For several weeks everything seemed fine and linuxconf could safely
change passwords for root and non-root users. The linuxppc folks rebuilt
the latest srpms for rawhide this weekend against glibc 2.0.104 and
egcs 1.1.1 pre-release 3. I also rebuilt linuxconf 1.13r1 disabling the
firewall module since the header for ip_fw.h is no longer in glibc 2.1.
    What I am seeing now is most odd. I find that linuxconf 1.13r1 can still
authenticate user passwords with no problems (such as when a non-root
user runs linuxconf and is prompted for the root password). However
if I attempt to change a user password I find that the confirmation
alert never appears. Oddly neither does any error message indicating that
the password change failed. What is curious is that in /etc after attempting
to change the password I find a passwd.OLD file with a different password
from that in the passwd file (which still has the original password).
    I would be very interested to know if anyone else is seeing this
behavior and if we can pin down the cause to either glibc 2.0.104 or
egcs 1.1.1 pre-release 3 (which has a large number of c++ compiler changes).
Thanks in advance for any information.
                  Jack

Jack W. Howarth, Ph.D.                                     231 Bethesda Avenue
NMR Facility Director                              Cincinnati, Ohio 45267-0524
Dept. of Molecular Genetics                              phone: (513) 558-4420
Univ. of Cincinnati College of Medicine                    fax: (513) 558-8474