__stat: should it end up as UND in libc.so or not?

Hi,

I have a problem with glibc-2.0.106 that depends on the binutils version I use.
With binutils-2.9.1.0.18, gas-981124 (which is partly broken), gas-981208
and 106 I get:
[root@kernel:/usr/src/redhat/glibc/BUILD/glibc-2.0.106/build-ppc-linux]#
objdump -T libc.so|grep __stat
00000000      D  *UND*  00000000              __stat
[root@kernel:/usr/src/redhat/glibc/BUILD/glibc-2.0.106/build-ppc-linux]#

With binutils-2.9.1.0.1[56] and 105 I get:
[root@kernel:/usr/src/redhat/glibc/BUILD/glibc-2.0.106/build-ppc-linux]#
objdump -T /lib/libc-2.0.105.so|grep __stat
[root@kernel:/usr/src/redhat/glibc/BUILD/glibc-2.0.106/build-ppc-linux]#

So it's listed as UND only in the newly built lib and the difference seems
to be the binutils version. Currently I no longer know what's correct and
whom to blame. Can somebody enlighten me?
AFAI recall, the UND should be there, but I can't find the discussion in my
archives anymore.
As this seems binutils dependent, I think it would be wise to check the
particular feature/bug involved during configure, cause installing a lib
with UND __stat on a system where the apps are compiled against a lib
without UND __stat, will render this system unuseable. And not everybody
installs from an rpm like me...

While checking for this I also noticed the the glibc sources use both
__stat and stat to call the stat-function. Shouldn't that be consistent
thruout the lib?

Needing help!
Franz.