Re: Symbol versioning question

hjl@lucon.org (H.J. Lu) writes:

> > I don't think it is proper to require that other sources be recompiled
> > between 2.0 and 2.1; that is part of binary compatibility.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> No one said anything about between 2.0 and 2.1. We were talking about
> between snapshots of 2.1. In fact, the change I made to glibc 2.1 in
> question is to make sure we don't require other sources be recompiled
> between 2.0 and 2.1.

The specific problem here is that _shared libraries_ compiled with
glibc 2.0 (or older version of glibc 2.1) can't be used to compile new
programs with glibc 2.1.

As far as compatibility between existing binaries at runtime, it is
fine.  I am happily using the Sparc Linux Netscape with glibc 2.1 and
a recent libstdc++, so it does quite well on the compatibility front.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu