Re: A new pthread patch

Zack Weinberg <zack@rabi.columbia.edu> writes:

> If you really want a more reliable debugger interface, make like the
> dynamic linker: put a stub function on the interesting path and teach
> gdb to set an internal breakpoint at it.  That's back compatible since
> gdb can fall back to the old way if the stub isn't there.

This is vertainly a better way.  There are others.

> Ulrich: I think __libc_allocate_rtsig or equivalent _should_ be user
> visible.  Otherwise, someone will blindly write code that uses
> SIGRTMAX in a threaded app, not realizing that libc wants it for
> internal use.

I don't see why.  On every system an application has to get by without
the allocation function.  It should only be used internally since it
will make it possible to adjust the SIGRTMIN and SIGRTMAX values.  The
application will have to allocate numers relative to these values in a
way which does not lead to conflicts.