Re: Multilib and Linux.

On 20 Apr 1999, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> That's what SGI has done on IRIX6: there's /lib32, /lib (n32) and
> /lib64.  A compiler/linker switch (-32, -n32 or -64) selects one ABI
> and uses the corresponding set of library directories.  The linker
> refuses to link together objects and libraries of different ABIs.

And have the default set of libraries symlinked. I.e on a 32bit system
hosting both 32bit and 64bit libraries, /lib is symlinked to /lib32, other
wise on a 64bit machine, /lib is symlinked to /lib64. That way, "normal"
programmers can default to the libraries desired, and along with the
linker option (-32/-64), can specify the library to link against.

It does look much nicer like this - and has the advantage of being able to
boot a 64bit machine from a 32bit machine or vice versa.

Cheers,
Alex
--
"A mind opened by new ideas cannot return to its original limits"

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk