Re: More on 32bit/64bit ABIs under Linux

On Apr 22, 1999, hjl@lucon.org (H.J. Lu) wrote:

> You don't want to prepend "-L../foo". We only prepend things like
> "-L/foo"

How about -L$HOME/lib?

>> to install libraries of a given ABI into a particular tree?  I

> Yes or No. For one package, if you only want to install binaries
> for one ABI, you can just install it normally. If it is 32bit, you
> have to make some symlinks in "/ABI32".

I can't make symlinks in /ABI32 as a regular user.  And I can't do
that on every single host of the network from which I might want to
mount my home dir and run the application.

>> Wouldn't it be better to extend ld.so so that one could have a
>> different .conf file for a different ABI.  For example,
>> /ABI32/etc/ld.so.conf, or /etc/ld.so.conf-ABI32 ?

> No, since files under /ABI32 may be just symlinks for the linker and
> the real 32bit binaries are in the normal places.

So what?  I don't understand what's the relationship between my
suggestion and your statement.  Anyway, this problem appears to have
already been fixed.

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Brasil
{oliva,Alexandre.Oliva}@dcc.unicamp.br  aoliva@{acm.org,computer.org}