Re: readdir changes

I don't think your changes broke Hurd, because it has its own readdir
implementation that does not use getdirentries at all.

But you did make an interface change that I don't like.  No addition of a
public function to the API counts as "an optimization, nothing severe".

You and I discussed removing getdirentries entirely from the API, not
replacing it with getdents.  I do not want getdents added the the libc API;
there is no reason for it.  The only reason to leave getdirentries at all
is for compatibility with existing applications.  No existing application
expects getdents to be defined by glibc, so there is no such motivation for
having it.

So, to reiterate what I told you before: Let's remove
getdirentries/getdents entirely.  For Linux, you can put the implementation
into a private sysdeps header file and have it inlined into readdir.  I
don't really care how you choose to implement readdir for Linux, but I
strongly object to the addition of getdents to the libc API and feel fairly
strongly that getdirentries should be obsolete as well.