Re: readdir changes

Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com> writes:

> But you did make an interface change that I don't like.  No addition of a
> public function to the API counts as "an optimization, nothing severe".

I haven't added a public function.   The __getdents function is private.

> You and I discussed removing getdirentries entirely from the API, not
> replacing it with getdents.  I do not want getdents added the the libc API;

It's not added.  It's simply an internal function used to implement
readdir as well as getdirentries.

> No existing application expects getdents to be defined by glibc, so
> there is no such motivation for having it.

This is something we would suspect but we don't know.  I don't want to
take a chance and remove it.

> So, to reiterate what I told you before: Let's remove
> getdirentries/getdents entirely.  For Linux, you can put the implementation
> into a private sysdeps header file and have it inlined into readdir.

This is effectively what is done except that getdirentries is not removed.