Re: A question on nscd

 > Hi,
 > In nscd.init, there is

 > #               for running programs and cache the results for the next \
 > #               query.  You should start this daemon only if you use \
 > #               slow Services like NIS or NIS+

 > I was wondering why nscd was only needed for NIS/NIS+. As far as I can
 > tell, it is also useful for DNS. Did I miss something?

The description predates AFAIK the addition of host lookup to nscd and
should be updated.

You can use nscd for caching DNS queries.  Most nameserver setups
include already a caching name server.  Therefore you've got to decide
who caches the DNS queries: named, nscd - or both.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de
  for pgp-key finger ajaeger@aixd1.rhrk.uni-kl.de