Re: DB 2.7.x is not binary compatible with DB 2.4.x

   From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@cygnus.com>
   Date: 21 Jul 1999 05:31:23 -0700

   Mark Kettenis <kettenis@wins.uva.nl> writes:

   > This means that we should either bump the libdb soname, or use
   > versioning to create functions that map the old flags onto the new
   > ones.

   None of this.  First, you are really stupid installing this libc
   version.  The warning in configure isn't there for fun.  It's not only
   about the locale suff, other changes (including the db stuff) is
   included.

Sorry, but I want to make sure that the development version keeps
working on the Hurd.  If I don't do this regularly it becomes very
hard to track down problems when things break.  The easiest way to
make sure that the core servers keep working is actually installing
libc.  Of course this isn't a "production" system and of course I have
made a backup first.  Please understand that I'm not whining that
things are broken.  I just wanted to make sure that you're aware of
the problems with DB.

   Second, db/db2 will be removed from glibc soon.  Then you can do
   whatever you want.  I for myself will probably stay with 2.4.

Just curious, but what's the reason for dropping db/db2?

Mark