Re: Setenv/putenv changes break existing code.

Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com> writes:

> Yes, the change might be correct, but it breaks existing binary code, and
> again we have symbol versioning and again we are not using it...

This has nothing to do with this.  There are program with need the
correct functionality.  These programs are correct and they cannot run
because of the bug.  This is just like any other bug fix.  If somebody
depends on the bug he wrote broken code.  It simply hasn't shown up
until now.  It is not correct to hide these kind of things.  These
people might recompile the application and expect it to work but it
won't.  The versioning handling is not to keep bugs alive.  If you
have some program programs either fix them or have a simple
preloadable module which the user selectively can preload for some
program applications.