Re: static executable bloat

On Thu, Aug 19, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com> writes:
>
> > They certainly did work (obviously only for static linking) when I stopped
> > maintaining libc.  It should not be very difficult to make it work, it's
> > not all that complicated.
>
> No, it's not easy.  I don't remember exactly anymore want are the
> exact problems but the locale loading code always had problems which
> doing only parts of the work.  You might remember, there was code to
> prevent loading entire categories if they are not used.  This never
> really worked but at that time nobody used the code for real and so
> the problems were not discovered.
>
> I personally don't care at all how big static binaries are.  Nobody
> must use them except for very few exceptions and for those larger code
> size is ok.

Sorry, you are absolutly wrong. I know some cases where you need static
binaries and were the larger code size is not Ok. We have the problem
at the moment here, going back to libc5 or glibc 2.0 is no solution.
But it seems we have to maintain our own hacked libc5 if we don't find
a better solution.
Not all systems have plenty of disk space.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/       kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH            Schanzaeckerstr. 10            90443 Nuernberg