Re: static executable bloat

On Thu, Aug 19, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> writes:
>
> > Sorry, you are absolutly wrong.
>
> This is your opinion.  People are not installing from floppies
> anymore, they have CDROMs.

Sorry, but do you really life in this world ? Most of my computers
don't have a CDROM drive. My Router for example don't need one. From
my PCs with a CDROM only one could boot from it. Yes, new PCs have
very big disks, have a CDROM and could boot from this CDROM. But
most of the Hardare Linux is running on is old and couldn't boot from
the CDROM. And do you know what the bootsektor of a CDROM is ?
A 1,44MB Floppy Image. Using a 2.88 MB Floppy Image isn't a solution
because most CDROM drives could not boot from it.

 Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/       kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH            Schanzaeckerstr. 10            90443 Nuernberg