more new code

Hi,

you might have noticed that I checked in a whole bunch of new code.
This is code from the thread debug support library in wrote in the
last weeks as part of my job for a contract we have with API (Alpha
Processor Inc).

The interface of the library is designed after the library Sun uses on
Solaris.  It is by itself not very helpful but gdb currently also gets
extended to make use of.  This means that real thread debugging
support is not too far away.