Re: rlimit changes

Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> writes:

> > You haven't read the mail.  This will change because it's completely
> > unnecessary for platforms like Alpha.
>
> In your first mail, your wrote that you have problems with Alpha.
> Now you write it is unnecessary. This is not the same.

I have problems and because of those I went to see rth who said the
change is unnecessary and not welcome.  This isn't so hard to
understand.  You haven't even tried to compile on Alpha to see how
broken it was so don't complain.

> What is with SPARC ? Andreas has made the patches because we need
> them on 32 bit SPARC (I haven't test it on SPARC64 yet).

Wel, then make the changes to the SPARC tree.  But since there is no
ugetrlimit syscalls the question is whether it was wanted there at
all.  The x86 is a special case since it actually allows 4GB memory
and more.  Is this true for SPARC?  If not the kernel change is not
necessary at all and *will* (note: future tense!!!) be changed back.
All it does in this case is adding more core where it never serves any
purposes.