Re: recent (12-18 or so) 2.1 changes to use __libc_*

Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com> writes:

> And why was such a change worthy of going into 2.1?

The problem was that these functions were no cancellation points which
made the behaviour of some programs differently on how they were
configured (using write vs pwrite etc).

There should be absolutely no change in the program behaviour for
non-thread programs and threaded programs (using LinuxThreads) now see
this functions as cancellation points.

The __libc_fcntl change in the startup code was necessary so that we
are not calling the wrapper functions at a point of time when the
thread library was not yet initialized.

> It turns out this is what broke the hurd

I would like to see how this can be the case.  All I can imagine is
that a program is fiddling with the symbols and tries to overload
them.  If you mean it does not compile, yes, the new names must be
available.  But this change was made a long time ago and since then
somebody really should have tried compiling.  If you'd tell me nobody
has the time to do this I would try to change the Hurd-specific files
myself.  So far it was not necesary and since I wouldn't be able to
verify the result it's also more dangerous.