Re: recent (12-18 or so) 2.1 changes to use __libc_*

> If you mean it does not compile, yes, the new names must be
> available.  But this change was made a long time ago and since then
> somebody really should have tried compiling.

That is exactly what I mean.  Please remember that the Hurd project is
truly all-volunteer, with noone being paid by anyone to do any part of it,
and really only Mark Kettenis and I are likely to track down libc things.
It is not an unreasonable expectation for the "stable releae branch" that
things not get broken while we're busy having lives.  And on January 5th to
say "a long time ago" about something done the weekend before Christmas, is
really just plain ludicrous.  Even if it were more than volunteering spare
time, I am still on bloody vacation 3000 miles from my computer and have
not been in a position to do real development since days before you made
these changes.  If I hadn't just gotten bored last night, I might not have
noticed it for another two weeks.  (So this is the first xmas season in
recent memory that I haven't been huddled over my machine hacking GNU
crapola the whole time anyway, but at least give me the benefit of the
doubt for maybe having a social life once in a while.)

> If you'd tell me nobody has the time to do this I would try to change the
> Hurd-specific files myself.  So far it was not necesary and since I
> wouldn't be able to verify the result it's also more dangerous.

Multiple answers.  It doesn't hurt for you to make this kind of change
yourself, since we will notice it and make sure it's kosher eventually.  In
fact, had you made the change and got it all wrong, we would have probably
noticed that sooner.  But you don't need to.  In general, there is time to
do reasonable maintenance, but since 2.1 has been stable we are not on top
of it every day; when you said "2.1.3 soon", I went to make sure things
looked ok for the hurd, and then I noticed it.  I don't know what else you
expect.  I haven't heard from Mark in a while, perhaps he's off having a
life.  And debugging libc over 56k from my mother's Macintosh was not my
first choice of fun vacation activity either.

Roland