Re: the setrlimit changes in glibc 2.1.3

   Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 08:38:32 -0500 (EST)
   From: Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>

   On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Andreas Schwab wrote:

   > Then you must rebuild the shared lib in question.  Binary compatibility is
   > only about *runtime* compatibility, but not *linktime* compatibility.

   No way. I don't see why I should do that.

Because mixing modules that use interfaces that are binary
incompatible is dangerous.  In the case of setrlimit, the rlim_t type
changed.  If both the shared library and an application that links
with that library use rlim_t in their communication, bad things may
happen if the library is using the old type and the application is
using the new type.

By the way, you should not simply rebuild the shared lib, but also
check if the interfaces it provides didn't change because of the
changes to the interface in libc.  If the interfaces did change, you
must bump the lib's soname or version the symbols in your library
itself.

Mark