Re: the setrlimit changes in glibc 2.1.3

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Mark Kettenis wrote:

>    No way. I don't see why I should do that.
>
> Because mixing modules that use interfaces that are binary
> incompatible is dangerous.  In the case of setrlimit, the rlim_t type
> changed.  If both the shared library and an application that links
> with that library use rlim_t in their communication, bad things may
> happen if the library is using the old type and the application is
> using the new type.
>
> By the way, you should not simply rebuild the shared lib, but also
> check if the interfaces it provides didn't change because of the
> changes to the interface in libc.  If the interfaces did change, you
> must bump the lib's soname or version the symbols in your library
> itself.

All fine and dandy, now think big-time vendors and tell me how to tell
them that all their dveelopment libraries they have put out are now
useless. It is quite of a challenge to deal with the big folks as it is;
if we pull a fast one like this on them it is going to become increasingly
difficult.

Cristian
Cristian Gafton    --     gafton@redhat.com     --       Red Hat, Inc.