moncontrol not exported: intentional?

In gmon/Versions there is:

    __monstartup;

(but note there is no __moncontrol listed) as well as:

    # m*
    moncontrol; monstartup;

But in gmon/gmon.c, there is no alias `moncontrol' defined for
`__moncontrol' as one might expect.  The result is that monstartup and
__monstartup are visible in libc.so, but neither __moncontrol nor
moncontrol is.  Am I right that this is just a pair of errors?  If the
moncontrol interface is supported, then moncontrol needs to be supported;
the declaration is also missing from <sys/gmon.h>.  There might be no need
to export __moncontrol, but it seems consistent to export it too.

If the moncontrol interface is not supported, then it would be less
confusing to remove it from gmon/Versions and make the function static in
gmon/gmon.c, the only place in libc it is used.  I would like to see the
interface supported, since it's in the BSD interface that includes
monstartup (which we do export).