Re: ../include/dlfcn.h:14: warning: `regparm' attribute directive ignored

Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com> writes:

> The main problem I remember are the functions fixup and profile_fixup.
> They are not used during profiling (wel, they could but probably
> nobody did so far).  The assembly code in sysdeps/i386/dl-machine.h
> depends on the values coming in in parameters.
>
> But I admit it's hard and ugly to fix it.  The first parameter for
> both functions is a pointer.  One could possibly mark these pointers
> __unbounded but this is ugly as well.

All of the dl stuff will require significant work.  As you are aware,
I got it all limping by applying tons of __unbounded qualifiers to all
types of the form `ElfW(xxx) *'.  I will abandon this hack and work to
get it all working with BPs.

Fixing dl to work without regparm, or fixing gcc to support regparm
for BPs will be the least of my troubles.

> I don't know in the moment whether there are other place where
> regparms is assumed.  Ther might be and you will find them easily by
> having programs crash.

Yep, that's how I find most things at this stage.

For now, I recommend that we keep Andreas's patch, if for no other
reason than because it stifles many noisy warnings.  We should just
add a comment about the tradeoffs.

Greg