Re: My proposal for the libgcc runtime ABI (ia64 gcc/glibc is broken.)

Mark Kettenis <kettenis@wins.uva.nl> writes:

> This isn't necessary at all.  The shared libgcc belongs in /lib.  If
> the GCC folks do their job properly, and take care of backwards
> compatibility issues, installing GCC can simply upgrade it if the
> version provided with the new GCC has the highest "version number".

Letting it all to the gcc folks has one major drawback: they will
either have to keep track of ABI changes for every single
architecture/OS combination or they will have to bump the version
number whenever something changed on any of the supported platforms.
The latter has the concequences that after a while you'l have dozends
of libgcc.so of which you cannot remove a single one unless you are
making sure everything is recompiled.  This latter approach will never
get my blessing but of course I cannot prevent the gcc people from
making this mistake.