Re: My proposal for the libgcc runtime ABI (ia64 gcc/glibc is broken.)

Joern Rennecke <amylaar@cygnus.co.uk> writes:

> I think this is a non-issue.  We can control the generation of libgcc.so
> by a target macro, so only those targets that are ready to have it
> (and where it makes sense to have it to start with) will have it.

I was not talking about the first release.  I was talking about the
next one.  Once you introduced the libgcc.so stuff you'll have to keep
it up-to-date and test it.  If something is not sufficiently tested or
updated, the new version might still run fine and people will start
using it, but you created a new ABI.  From that point on you not only
have the provide the ABI of the previous release, you also have to
support the errorneously introduced new ABI since this is what will be
expected.

It would be really advised that before gcc people take up the task of
maintaining ABIs they look into the problems this involves in other
projects.