Re: My proposal for the libgcc runtime ABI (ia64 gcc/glibc is broken.)

   Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:12:24 -0700
   From: Richard Henderson <rth@cygnus.com>

   On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 10:40:28AM -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:
   > > The fact that the Linux libc contains and reexports the frame info
   > > registration functions make things a little more complicated, and
   >
   > I believe it is the cause of the problem. Otherwise, it will be
   > libstdc++.so who contains and reexports the frame info registration
   > functions, which is the part of gcc and handled by my "library
   > interface" scheme. It is an entirely different issuse.

   Not at all.  It's exactly the same issue, with just the names changed.

Indeed.  Moreover, HJ's scheme doesn't even solve the problem of
rexporting the frame info registration info.  It may seem like it
does, but that's only because the C++ ABI changed more frequently than
the frame info registration.

The only thing HJ's scheme *does* "solve" is dealing with the libio
changes made between glibc 2.0 and glibc 2.1, that quite deliberately
ignored the consequences for C++ (since the C++ ABI was in flux anyway
at that time).  It's incredibly ugly, and I hope it can be phased out
in with Ggcc 3.0

   r~