Re: The libgcc.so for glibc initiative

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 05:13:50PM -0500, Mark Brown wrote:

> "H . J . Lu" wrote:
> > > While libgcc.so may be a per-platform issue, I do not see why we cannot
> > > work with/educate the appropriate gcc maintainer on this; as long as
> > > part of the education includes why we need a libgcc that meets *all*
> > > of the glibc needs.
> >
> > Last time when I tried it, they didn't wany any solution which only
> > works for glibc. They want a solution which works on all targets gcc
> > supports. That is why I said the solution they chose would fall far
> > short for glibc.
>
> I had a discussion on this point with another gcc SC member, David
> Edelsohn. He is of the opinion that looking at libgcc as a per-platform
> item is a valid viewpoint, and agrees that maybe there needs to be a version
> done for gibc. He's not the only one who feels that way -- don't know if he
> represents the majority or not.

I am very glad to hear that.

> this leads me to believe that if we approach this in a non-confrontational
> matter we might get what we need in this way.

The main objection comes from Jeff Law. Here is his typical view on glibc
and Linux in general:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2000-07/msg00376.html

He doesn't start thinking this way just a few days ago. I learned it years
ago. And I think he will object anything I propose for glibc/Linux. Maybe
someone else besides me and Ulrich should push the issue with a different
approach. However, we cannot just wait here for something to happen in
the meantime.

Thanks for your time.

H.J.