Re: announcement text

   From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com>
   Date: 02 Nov 2000 19:30:50 -0800

   Please review the text for the glibc 2.2 announcement.  I've made it
   available at

	   http://www.cygnus.com/~drepper/ANNOUNCE

   One thing I'd like to change is to provide a list of architecture and
   the recommended compilers (and tools if necessary).  It would be good
   if you could provide this information.  Any other feedback is welcome,
   too.

For the Hurd, I use GCC 2.95.2 and binutils 2.10.  Note that I'm
cross-compiling from Linux (the tools are actually the native Linux
tools with modified specs, and some home-brewn scripts, but that
shouldn't really matter).  I'm not very confident that current
mainline GCC will correctly compile glibc for the Hurd.  On the Hurd
we use even more GNU-isms than the rest of the ports, and the GCC
folks have a tendency to break those from time to time.

2.1.97 seems to be fine for the Hurd.  No build problems, and my Hurd
system seems to be happy with it.

By the way, I checked in some changes to make the Hurd's CLK_TCK
handling similar to what you did for Linux.  We already determined
CLK_TCK at runtime for the Hurd since glibc 2.1.1, but in a slightly
different way:

#   define CLK_TCK __libc_clk_tck()
extern int __libc_clk_tck (void) __attribute__ ((__const__));

where __libc_clk_tck() is basically what's now the new __getclktck()
function.  Note the const attribute.  Is it possible to make
__sysconf() a const function too?

Mark